London New Work Season 2023
Celebrating fearless work
Applications now closed.
We are looking for bold, fearless and intriguing work to be a part of our spring New Work season which aims to showcase the best new voices making theatre today.
The season will run from February to June 2023 in our Downstairs space, formed of a mixture of one, two and three week runs. A show week consists of 5 performances, we double stack our spaces and have an earlier performance time of 19:00 and a later performance time of 20:30/20:45 (show duration dependant).
What are we looking for?
- Innovative Shows & Great Ideas - first and foremost, we want original work from exciting theatre-makers with a track record of presenting high-quality performance. If you’ve got a good idea, we want to hear from you!
- Fresh New Work - we are looking for new pieces of theatre. While it doesn't have to be work that is premiering, we aren't looking for revivals or productions of classic texts.
- Dynamic and Theatrical - unfortunately we are unable to accept applications for comedy shows (stand-up, sketch, improvisation) or children and family work for this callout. Due to our Downstairs theatre’s location, ambient sound can be an issue. We are looking for shows that can hold their own against a bit of background noise, be it through its content or sound design. We are especially interested in shows that combine theatrical practice with live music, drag, cabaret and comedy.
- Collaborative Teams - as we are not a producing house, all applications must have a creative team attached which should be a minimum of writer (or devising artists/company), director and producer. We would also expect plans in place fundraising (if not already in place) to supplement our funding/in-kind support and to consider sources outside the Arts Council.
- Fair Working Conditions - we want all long run productions at Pleasance Islington to be paying teams in-line with an industry standard rate (such as Equity Off West End, ITC, etc). Due to the size of the stage (7x3m) and auditorium (72 seats) we would expect no more than four performers onstage.
- Strikable Sets - we double stack our Downstairs programme and therefore you will be sharing the space with other artists/companies while with us. With this in mind, we are looking for work up to 75 minutes in length with sets which are easily strikable and turned around.
What we provide?
- A one, two or three week slot in our Downstairs space (72 capacity three-sided thrust) on a 70/30 BO split in the companies favour.
- A week of 100% subsidised rehearsal space for shows performing for 2 or more weeks
- Support from the Pleasance team writing ACE project grant bids and other fundraising.
- Season PR & marketing.
What you provide?
- The show
- The cast & crew
- A show-specific PR & marketing campaign to run alongside our in-house season campaign
- Public liability and production insurance
How to apply?
Applications for our spring 2023 programme are now closed.
We require a show budget and fundraising plan.
There is also the option to include a video application if this format is preferable to you, please fill out the same form above but select “Video Application” at the beginning.
If you have any questions, you can get in touch with us on [email protected]
The application form attached below is only for reference purposes, all applications should be submitted through the form above. Unfortunately you aren't able to save the form, as such we advise preparing answers in a word document and copying over. A viewable .doc version can be found here.