Festival Volunteer Programme
Volunteer with us at the Fringe
Applications Launch Early 2020
Applications for the Pleasance Festival Volunteer Programme 2020 will launch in 2020. If you would like to be the first to hear when they are live, you can register your interest using this form.
For reference, the application information for the 2019 Programme is included below.
The programme runs from Friday 31st July to Wednesday 2nd September August 2020.
2019 Programme Information (For Reference Only):
An unforgettble month at the very heart of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe awaits!
- Download the 2019 Festival Volunteer Programme Information Pack
- View the 2019 Application Form & Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form
About the Programme
The Pleasance Festival Volunteer Programme provides a platform for people of all backgrounds and ages to hone their skills in the creative industries through playing an important part in the daily operation of the Pleasance’s 23 Fringe venues, each at the centre of the largest arts festival in the world.
From Friday 26th July (25th July for Technical volunteers) to Thursday 29th August 2019, we are joined by some 230 volunteers who act in dedicated positions with genuine responsibilities.
As a not-for-profit charity, the Pleasance Theatre Trust is recognised as a leading cultivator of talent on the Fringe, with each festival offering an opportunity to nurture the skills of those working off stage, as well as those performing on it. Our voluntary team includes those of all levels of experience, from individuals with years of industry knowledge to relative newcomers who exhibit the right attitude and want to take part. Their passion and drive are what gives the venue it’s unique energy, and we look to create an environment where every volunteer feels engaged, valued and inspired.
Previous participants have cited the development of new skills, building confidence in social and diplomatic situations, the opportunity to put existing experience into practice and creating a professional network as just some of the benefits of joining. Not to mention having an unforgettable experience in an unparalleled hub of creativity and energy.
A wide range of positions are available in the following teams;
- Venue Managers
- Venue Crew (Sound / Lighting / Stage Management)
- Box Office
- Front of House
- Brooke’s Club Hosts
- Arts Industry Reception
- Press Office
- Street Team
- Marketing (Photographer / Videographer / Content Producer)
The Festival Volunteer Programme is about hands on experience and peer to peer learning. Whether you are willing to impart knowledge or are keen to accept it, there is a place for you on our team.
Further information on each of the roles can be found in the information pack:
The venue is open to the public from 31st July - 26th August inclusive. Volunteers work on a daily rota throughout the festival, on a schedule that varies according to their role. All departments ensure that adequate breaks are provided for rest and enjoying the festival. Typical shift patterns are discussed in more detail during interview. All volunteers are involved the venue Get-In and Get-Out at either side of these dates, where we set up and pack up the venue respectively.
What the Programme Offers
In addition to what we hope is an invaluable and exhilarating experience, all volunteers receive;
- A subsistence of no less than £680 as a contribution to your living expenses. This can be paid in 2 parts (50% in the middle of the festival, 50% at the end) or in one lump sum at the conclusion of the run.
- For those who require accommodation, a single private bedroom within close proximity to the venue at no cost. Each room is in a 4 - 6 bedroom apartment that is shared exclusively with other Pleasance volunteers.
- A Pleasance Pass, which gives free access to any show in the Pleasance programme, as well as discounts at various restaurants, cafes and bars throughout Edinburgh.
- Weekly parties and get togethers, so that you can relax, have fun and get to know the great team of people around you.
- Access to training opportunities, information sessions and networking events to further your career.
- The opportunity to include your time with the Pleasance on your CV and request references.
- Exclusive ticket offers and discounts for the Edinburgh Preview Season at Pleasance London in June & July.
Our aim is to provide volunteers with safe, secure lodgings, the means to enjoy the festival for the month and the chance to develop their industry knowledge. All you need to do is arrange your own travel if you are joining us from outside of Edinburgh.
A peer and managerial support network is available to all volunteers throughout the festival, with dedicated mechanisms to provide feedback on your experience both throughout and at the conclusion of the Fringe.
To apply, please complete our online Application Form:
We also ask applicants to complete the Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form at:
We welcome applications from anyone, with any level of experience.
Please note that due to limited availability, we are not accepting applications for the following roles: Arts Industry Reception, Content Producer, Press Office
Please note that the CV Upload function of the application form may not work on all browsers. If you are unable to upload yours, please submit your application and then email your CV separately to email@example.com including your name in the subject title.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview at one of our Open House Recruitment Sessions in London, Edinburgh, Leeds, Manchester and Dublin. These sessions will include an introductory group presentation and Q&A discussing life on the Fringe, followed by a short one-to-one interview with each candidate. Each Open House will be tailored to a specific department, per the schedule below.
Where possible, additional interviews will be scheduled with candidates who cannot attend the Open House dates or locations. These will predominantly take place via Skype.
If there are positions remaining on the team following each round of Open House Sessions, further interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. As such, there is no set deadline. As we consider applications on a first received, first reviewed basis – we advise all candidates to apply as soon as possible to maximise your chances.
Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact unsuccessful applicants.
Open House Recruitment Sessions Schedule 2019
Open House sessions are scheduled on the following days. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to one. Where possible, additional interviews will be scheduled with candidates who cannot attend the Open House dates or locations.
- Technical - London - Monday 15th April
- Technical - Edinburgh - Monday 13th May
- Technical - Manchester - Wednesday 15th May
- Technical - Leeds - Thursday 16th May
- Technical - Dublin - Friday 17th May
- Technical - London - Monday 20th May (Round 2)
- Technical - London - Tuesday 21st May (Round 2)
Guest Services, Industry Services & Marketing Teams
- Guest Services - London - Wednesday 8th May
- Guest Services - London - Thursday 9th May
- Marketing - London - Monday 13th May
- Industry Services - London - Tuesday 14th May
- Guest Services / Industry Services / Marketing - Manchester - Wednesday 15th May
- Guest Services / Industry Services / Marketing - Leeds - Thursday 16th May
- Guest Services - Edinburgh - Monday 20th May
- Industry Services / Marketing - Edinburgh - Tuesday 21st May
- Guest Services - London - Monday 10th June (Round 2)
- Guest Services - London - Tuesday 11th June (Round 2)
- Industry Services / Marketing - London - Wednesday 12th June (Round 2)
If you have any queries or wish to follow up on your application at any point, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Phone: +44 (0)207 619 6868
Address: Pleasance Theatre Trust Ltd, Carpenters Mews, North Road, London, N7 9EF
The Pleasance Theatre Trust is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Please feel free to let us know of any access requirements relating to the training schedule, the roles advertised, accommodation, and anything else that you are concerned about.