Pleasance Theatre's award-winning young company
Edinburgh Residential and London Workshops
Young Pleasance is dedicated to offering dynamic, excellent and professional theatre opportunities for young people through workshops and large-scale productions delivered by our ambitious creative team.
Having produced annual original productions for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe over the last 24 years the company have established an excellent reputation at the fringe with audiences and critics alike.
Based at Pleasance Islington, the company rehearses and performs regularly in London and its other home in Edinburgh. Currently Young Pleasance are operating our London Workshops and our Edinburgh Residential.
Applications for YP London Autumn Term 2019 are now CLOSED.
Participatory workshops will be held on:
- Sunday 8th September, 2pm-4pm
- Monday 9th September, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Young Pleasance London Workshops
Young Pleasance London is the new ensemble for theatremakers aged 16 - 25 at the Pleasance Theatre, Islington, launched in September 2018. After 24 years of creating exciting, devised, physical theatre for the Edinburgh Fringe, the reputation of the Pleasance's youth theatre has been firmly established as a "launchpad for new talent and ideas" (Theatre Weekly). This year we are proud to have launched a new group, our Young Pleasance London Ensemble.
- Our mission is to create a diverse, inclusive, innovative and socially responsible youth theatre focusing on upskilling, devising and actor techniques. This dynamic company will exist to develop the voices of young artists.
- Following 'Words in Progress', Young Pleasance London's inaugural production, the company moved from new writing to modern retelling of Greek tragedy with 'The House of Clytemnestra'.
- The current Term 3 is a skills and practice based term looking at practical techniques into making theatre and developing your practice as a performer.
Edinburgh Residential 2019
Applications for the Young Pleasance Edinburgh Residential are now closed. Click here to see the Young Pleasance in action with A Grave Situation at Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2019.
- To find out more about the Residential, read our info pack here
- Check out our audition poster
- If you have any questions, contact email@example.com
To be eligible, you must be:
- Age 16-21 in August 2019
- Available for auditions/interviews on Fri 4 Jan and Sun 12 Jan 2019
- Available for rehearsals and performances in London and Edinburgh from approx 20 July to 19 August 2018
- A versatile performer with vocal and physical skills OR interested in a backstage role ie stage management, lighting, sound or costume
Watch a video testimonial from past members of the Young Pleasance to find out more about the experience.
Since 1995, the Young Pleasance has trained hundreds of performers, musicians and technicians who have gone on to further training and careers in the industry. Once involved in the company, the Pleasance continues to nurture an individual’s creative talent and ambition through our Pleasance Futures initiatives, including Young Pleasance Graduate Company - a programme specifically designed for Young Pleasance alumni. Find out more.
Press highlights from previous productions
For The Red Shoes, Young Pleasance 2018
★★★★★ “An absolute triumph” British Theatre Guide
★★★★★ “Sizzling...exceptional piece of work'' Fringe Review
★★★★ “Flawless, bursting with energy” Theatre Weekly
★★★★ “This talented cast is one to watch” TheatreBox Blog
★★★★ “Well performed classic” Southside Adventurer
For Curse of Cranholme Abbey, Young Pleasance 2017
★★★★★ "A chilling, dark and spooky show that holds the audience in its clutches from start to finish" Voice Magazine
★★★★★ "Young Pleasance are always one of the hottest tickets at the Edinburgh Fringe" 730 Review
★★★★ "Everything you could want in a thriller...sure to have you on the edge of your seat" Fringe Guru
For Alice Unhinged, Young Pleasance 2016
★★★★★ "Undoubtedly one of the must-see shows of this year's Fringe" British Theatre Guide
★★★★ "A delightful and highly entertaining piece of organised chaos. And the hats! Madness" Edinburgh Guide
"A visual treat from the get-go; a five-star opening set, and one stunning turn of costumes after another" The Scotsman
For fringe sell-out, The Hampstead Murder Mystery! Young Pleasance 2015
★★★★★ "Not to be missed...Kill to get a ticket" British Theatre Guide
★★★★ "Energy, charm and sheer luxury in a sparkling production" The Scotsman
★★★★ "Excellent production values...dynamic and imaginative" Broadway Baby